MIME Applications Associations
This specification allows users, system administrators, application vendors, and distributions, to control which application should open a file by default, and which applications should be shown as supporting a given MIME type (possibly overriding what the .desktop file for the application lists).
Discussion of this specification should occur on xdg.
This specification is hosted in git, see mime-apps-spec.
- Latest version
- Version 1.0.1 - html (one page) - html (multiple pages) - xml
- Version 1.0 - html (one page) - html (multiple pages) - xml
References (predating the spec)
- Shared mimetypes + activation thread
- Associating programs with file types thread
- MIME activation discussion thread
- Default Program / File Association thread (part II)
- More recent Default Program / File Association thread, where mimeapps.list was introduced
- Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level