Notes from XDND round-table at XDevConf 2005:
ordering of types
* - Not specified, but qt implements it - would be good if everyone supported it. higher priority are chosen first. This fixes dropping content onto file browser (gedit->konqi, etc)
text encodings - apps do educated guess?
* - Defined UTF-8 as encoding for text content? * - Ability to provide other encodings too? - Backwards compat issue - Put charset/encoding into the mimetype? (text/html:utf-8)
Mini spec (registry) of how to do various encodings needs to be created
* - (using zip/tar? .. text/html@zip) - performance with tar/zip? * - OASIS? - needs experiments - remote X server could be slow, but worth the effort?
applying to uri-list drag
* - problem of remote clients (<span class="createlink"><a href="https://secure.freedesktop.org/write/www/ikiwiki.cgi?page=file%3A&from=Specifications%2FXDNDRevision&do=create" rel="nofollow">?</a>file:/</span> not valid on the other host) - hostname not implemented well * - applying uri-list with second target of content is not implemented anywhere but a possible solution (the ROX applications support this for single-file drags using application/octet-stream, but you have to turn off "Don't use hostnames" in the Compatibility box, which breaks some other applications) - alternative having a second response saying "give me the content" - uuid to make hostname issue easier to deal with
kio copying uri list - how to know who owns
* - Qt problem - doesn't expose ability to say "I'm done, do your delete" - basically a UI problem during long operations - XDS is a solution?
See also Draganddropwarts.