X Keyboard Configuration Database
The non-arch keyboard configuration database for X Window. The goal is to provide the consistent, well-structured, frequently released open source of X keyboard configuration data for X Window System implementations (free, open source and commercial). The project is targeted to XKB-based systems.
What is it for?
There are many X Window implementations which have very poor support for non-standard keyboards, national layouts and options.
Open Source X Window System implementations (xfree86, x.org) currently have non-synchronized XKB configuration databases: the bugs fixed in one repository are not reflected in the other, new configuration elements are added (in best case) separately and independently to both CVS trees - but usually only one tree gets them. Also, these implementations contain unbalanced and unstructured layout trees (very often one country/language have several layouts, each with its own set of variants).
Commercial X Window System implementations cannot support large variety of national layouts - usually, because of lack of resources. So users from "exotic" countries feel offended and frustrated - their environments are not complete.
The solution which would guarantee quality support for the keyboard configuration data is to have single repository which would serve as meta-project for X servers and OS distributions. X Keyboard Configuration Database is trying to be the one.
For details on mailing lists, bug reporting, code repositories, and submission rules, see here
- 0.1 - 25 May 2004, first version. Only single-group layouts are included (tested for compatibility with the multiple layouts feature). Each language/country has no more than one layout and any number of variants.
- 0.2 - 12 Jun 2004, second version. HOWTO.transition is added, xkbcomp symlink is supported, Maori layout is added, small fix for Brasilian layout is applied.
- 0.3 - 23 Jul 2004, HEAVILY restructured layout names, compatibility rules are introduced, intltool problem resolved (sorry, with warnings).
- 0.4 - 28 Sep 2004, A lot of fixes. More univeral EURO handling. New urdu layout. Improved handling for indicators.
- 0.5 - 02 Mar 2005, New layouts/models/options. Updated translations. Group names synchronization.
- 0.6 - August 2005, Many improvements.
- 0.7 - December 2005, New layouts/models/options. Reogranized symbols/inet.
- 0.8 - March 2006, New layouts, fixes.
- 0.9 - October 2006, New layouts, fixes.
- 1.0 - July 2007, Around 70 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed.
- 1.1 - September 2007, Around 30 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. First time-based release.
- 1.2 - January 2008, Around 40 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Updated translation schema.
- 1.3 - May 2008, Around 40 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Dropped old rulesets sgi and sun. Added a lot of metadata, related to countries and languages.
- 1.4 - September 2008, Around 30 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Added new ruleset evdev.
- 1.5 - January 2009, More than 40 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. symbols/inet restructured.
- 1.6 - May 2009, Around 30 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Added terminate:* group. Dropped locale-specific models.
- 1.7 - September 2009, Around 30 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Restructured rules-generating scripts.
- 1.8 - January 2010, Around 10 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed.
- 1.9 - May 2010, Around 30 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Evdev model dropped.
- 2.0 - September 2010, 17 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed.
- 2.1 - January 2011, 13 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed.
- 2.2 - April 2011, New structure of descriptions, massive changes in user-visible strings. Special release for GNOME 3
- 2.3 - May 2011, 18 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed. Descriptions from 2.2 are polished
- 2.4 - September 2011, 9 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed.
- 2.5 - January 2012, 15 bugs from freedesktop.org bugzilla were fixed.
- 2.5.1 - January 2012, translations updated (after urgent release 2.5)
- 2.6 - May 2012, translations, minor fixes
- 2.7 - Sep 2012, translations, minor fixes. *.dir files are gone. CTL+ALT type fixed
- 2.8 - Jan 2013, translations, minor fixes, massive updates from Oracle
- 2.9 - May 2013, translations, minor fixes
- 2.10.1 - Oct 2013, translations, minor fixes, massive code cleanup
Contributions to the project. Relations to X Window System implementations.
We kindly ask and encourage people contributing layouts to XFree86 and X.Org repositories to send patches to X Keyboard Configuration Database. We would highly appreciate X implementations using our codebase in their distributions (there was preliminary agreement with X.Org implementation maintainers).
- X Keyboard Extension (by Ivan U. Pascal)
- The XKB Configuration Guide (by Kamil Toman, Ivan U. Pascal, XFree86 project)
- An Unreliable Guide to XKB Configuration (by Doug Palmer)
- X Window Keyboard-related forum (in LiveJournal)
- Compatibility between keyboard models
- Custom Keyboard in Linux/X11
Dreaming of XKB2
For many years, there are rumours, discussions and speculations about XKB2 - the new improved version of XKB. I collected some ideas that might one day be implemented within XKB2
- Ivan U. Pascal (comaintainer)
-- Main.- 01 Apr 2013